Ads 468x60px

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Ladder of Hope

This poem was sent to me by a very dear friend.  I am not sure who the author is or what it is titled (so if someone does, please let me know), but I loved it and wanted to share it with everyone!  Please read and let these powerful words touch you the way they've touched me.

I had been in that hole for a very long time
In the dark and the damp, in the cold and the slime.
The shaft was above me; I could see it quite clear
But there's no way I ever could reach it from here.
Nor could I remember the world way up there
So I lost all my hope and gave in to despair.
I knew nothing but darkness, the floor, and the walls
Then off in the distance I heard someone call: "Get up! Get ready! There's nothing the matter.
Take rocks and old sticks and build up a fine ladder."
This had never occurred to me--had not crossed my mind.
But I started to stack all the stones I could find.
When I ran out of stones, then old sticks were my goal, For one way or another I'd get out of that hole.
So I soon had a ladder that was sturdy and tall
And I thought, "I'll soon leave this place once and for all."
I climbed up my ladder. It was no easy chore,
For from lifting those boulders, my shoulders were sore.
I climbed on up the ladder, but soon had to stop
For my ladder stopped short--some ten feet from the top.
I climbed back down my ladder and started to cry I'd done all I could do. I gave my best try.
And in spite of my work, in this hole I must die.
And all I could do was to sit and think, "Why?"
Was my ladder too short? Or my hole much too deep
Then from way upon high came a voice, "Do not weep."
And then faith, hope, and love entered into my chest
As the voice said to me that I'd done my best.
He said, "You've worked very hard, and your labor's been rough,
But the ladder you've built is at last tall enough.
Do not despair. You have reason to hope
just climb up your ladder; I'll throw down my rope."
I climbed up the ladder, then climbed up the cord.
When I got to the top, there stood the Lord.
I couldn't be happier; my struggle was done.
I blinked in the brightness that came from the Son.
I fell to the ground, His feet did I kiss
I cried, "What can I do to repay thee for this?"
Then He looked all about Him. There were holes in the ground They had people inside, and were seen all around
There were thousands of holes that were damp, dark, and deep The the Lord turned to me and He said, "Feed my sheep."
Then He went on His way to help other lost souls, And I got right to work, calling down to the holes: "Get up! Get ready! There's nothing the matter.
Take rocks and old sticks and build up a fine ladder."
It now was my turn to spread the good word.
The most glorious message that man ever heard.
That there's one who is willing to save one and all
And we've got to be ready when He gives the call.
He'll pull us all out of the hole that we're in
And save all our souls from death and from sin.
So do not lose faith; there is reason to hope
just build up your ladder; He'll throw down His rope

3 comments:

Rayda Panoca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pennie Rumsey said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! A departing sister missionary read it this last week and I was bawling like a baby! You said to let you know if someone found the author. This blog says its from ~Scott Lewis and elders from his mission. Here's a link where I found it. Thanks again =)

http://marcusandbrittany.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

Aaron Ashton said...

Hello, I was looking for this poem because I thought I had lost the one i printed out while i was on my mission. I found my original copy and it is entitled, "After All We Can Do." by; Robbie Pierce.

Here is a link to an original i found

https://sites.google.com/site/safeforrobbie/robbie%27spoem
Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...