Ads 468x60px

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

Right now I am almost at a loss for words.  There's so much going on within my heart and mind that it seems nearly impossible to share even a portion of it.  But, you all know me, I will try my best. 

Memories, ah....good times!
It's here; the end has come.  The eighteen month journey is at it's close.  Over the last few weeks I have found myself laying awake and reflecting upon my mission, my life as a sister missionary.  I see the faces of each person I have met, the people I have loved, the people that have changed me more than I have changed them.  I love them.  I cherish the bonds I have made and the spiritual moments shared.  It's like nothing else I have ever experienced.

Though this chapter in my life is ending, a new one is beginning; my life as Brittany Nestman.

What will life be like at home?  Most likely it will be much like it was before the mission: church, work, school, family, friends, and dating (o.0).  Something I have found myself asking is "what will be different?  What is it that I am taking home from all of this?"  Yes I'm taking home all my memories, cherished thoughts and feelings, but what else?


My favorite scripture before I left on my mission was this (Helaman 5:12):
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
Me and Meagan
From my mission, I am taking home a solid foundation.  A foundation built upon Christ.  I know who I am, where I am going, and what I can become.  I know that it is only in and through Jesus Christ that I can accomplish any and all of my desires in life.  This gospel is my life.  It has changed me.  Though I go home to much of the same things, I go home a new person.  As this transformation into the new and improved Brittany has taken place, my favorite scripture has changed.
1Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.
Tag-less in a strange land, bring it on!
My tag may come off, but it will remain imprinted upon my heart.  I will always be a missionary.  The reason all of these people keep going through my head is because I want each one to have everlasting life.  My vision of Heaven isn't of me chillin' out alone.  I want everyone to be there!  The Brittany before the mission didn't see that. 

I know this church is true.  I know God loves each of us and knows us.  He knows us so perfectly!  Jesus is the Christ.  He sacrificed everything for us so that we can all be there, together, in our Father's presence again one day.  Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God.  He saw God the Father and Jesus Christ and he did restore the true church of Jesus Christ to the earth.  We have a prophet on the earth today, President Thomas S. Monson.  The Book of Mormon is incredible!  It is the word of God.  You can, and will, know that all of this is true by reading from it's pages and asking God, the Eternal Father, if it is true.  I love you all and leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

6 comments:

mommaquincy said...

Great post! You have been a great missionary and you will find many opportunities to be a missionary again! Really being a great example is being a missionary! Best wishes!

Brian said...

You have changed the world with your Missionary Service! It is such a great experience to feel the spirit of the Lord work in our lives as missionaries. The spirit you felt on your mission will leave an eternal imprint on your life forever.

Carin said...

Sister Nestman.....Brittany...., Congratulations!! We will miss you!! Enjoy your homecoming and don't forget all of the wonderful experiences and the growth you will take home with you. The person you have become will be much more equipped for work in the kingdom, without a name tag, but engraved on your heart. I can't wait for my missionaries to come home!!! Congrats again! I KNOW your mother is excited! :-)

Elder Nathan Crowther said...

SOOOO GOOD! (in a teen girl squad voice). Thanks for your testimony and service. Thanks for this post. it was really good. Can't believe it's that time.

Katrina said...

I love you. Oh, how I love you! Menasco's right, you've changed the world. You're so awesome! and you're going to make an amazing RM. I personally am grateful for your service. (I'm one of those who benefited from it.) God bless you Sister Nestman!!!

Steve and Melissa said...

We love you! Good luck over the next little while. You always have a home here in Cordelia!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...