Ads 468x60px

Saturday, November 5, 2011

True Identity

"What is your true identity?"  Over the past few days, this question has been bouncing around inside my brain.  Almost like flubber; it just won't stop bouncing!  As one would guess, a portion of my personal study each morning has been devoted to answering this very question.  Let's break it down.

First, 'true': what does it mean?  We all see it as one of the choices on a "true or false" section of a test, but what's the actual definition?  You better believe I looked it up.  "Steadfast, loyal, agreeing with facts or reality, consistent, properly so called, rightful, comfortable to a standard or pattern, placed or formed accurately."  Fair enough.

Now, what does 'identity' mean?  "Sameness of essential character, individuality, the fact of being the same person or thing as claimed."  After reading these definitions I decided to also look up individuality, which is "the sum of qualities that characterize and distinguish an individual from all others, separate or distinct existence."  Hmmmm.... Very interesting.

After reading and pondering these definitions I came up with my own definition for 'true identity.'  'True identity' is being the person you are no matter what.  It is the person that Heavenly Father see's and knows perfectly and completely. 

In Jeremiah we learn that God tells Jeremiah "1Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou comest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."  He "knew" Jeremiah.  He knew exactly who Jeremiah was and who He would be in life.  Sadly, each of us doesn't always know what our 'true identity' is. 

Most of us have not had the same experience as Jeremiah.  God hasn't come down and told us "I ordained you a _____."  That "____" is for us to fill in.  It is up to us to seek out what our 'true identity' really is.  It will be unique to each person.  Sister Nestman is not the same person as Jeremiah, George Washington, Britney Spears, or Francine Frensky.  I am me!  My 'true identity' is something I am still striving to discover.

My challenge to each of you (because you know I always give out assignments ;)  ) is to ponder your own 'true identity.'  Think, ponder, study, pray, and write about it.  I promise it will help you to see the bigger picture in life.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I really needed this! True Identity has taken a whole different meaning now, and I have a lot to think about. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...