Ads 468x60px

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dawn of a New Era

Transfers have come and gone, again, and this time it affected me.  I have been sent to the northernmost zone of our mission, in a city called Eureka, to be companions with Hermana Haslam.  Yes, that is correct, Hermana.  We are in an English/Spanish companionship.  So far it has been full of excitement and challenges.  Both of us are new to the area and thus have no idea what it's like, where anything is, who is in the ward, or which way is North.  But, don't you fret, we are up to the challenge.  The area is gorgeous and the people are extremely welcoming and kind.
One of the bigger challenges has been cleaning up the apartment and going through all of the information about the area.  It has taken us some time (and still is).  While going through the apartment we did find one of the neatest things I have seen on my mission.  Take a look....


It is a history of all the Elders that have served here since about 2000.  Crazy right?!  I was amazed at how many there were.  I mean, that is a rather long heritage of missionaries here in Eureka 2nd ward.  After the amazement I noticed the bottom of this very very long list.  Look below...
"The End of the Elders."  A legacy at an end.  From what I have gathered, there haven't been any Sisters here.  Hermana Haslam and I are the first.
A new legacy has begun and I am very excited about it.  This new transfer comes with new challenges and trials, but also new blessings and miracles.  Each area I have served in has taught me a valuable lesson. 
 My first area was where I truly learned what it meant to love the people and to have charity.  Loving everyone is not an easy task, but as we strive to see others the way Christ does, we are blessed. 
In my second area I learned a lot about myself.  What my weaknesses are and what I can improve on within myself.  Rough, but very rewarding.  "1And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." 
In my third area my future kept coming into mind.  Somewhat of a daunting idea, but it seemed to be in the forefront of my mind.  What would I do with my future?  What kind of person do I want to be?  How can I become the person the Lord wants me to be?  These questions continued to swirl around within my mind for what seemed to be forever.  What I learned was that I have become a different person than I was and that I want to become so much more.
I am so exited to see what Eureka has in store for me.  The people we will teach, the people I will meet, and everything the Lord has planned out.  What will Eureka teach me?  Well, I'll keep you posted on that one.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow!!! That is really fun. We have a family guest book that we have people sign and most of those boys are in it. At least two have come back to marry Eureka girls and now have children...some have returned with their families to visit us. We keep in touch with many of them still! (LOVE Facebook for that) What an awesome piece of history. Thank you for sharing it with us. RIP Elder Birch.

Brian said...

I remember that list! It is so much fun being able to see the other missionaries! Trust me, Eureka has alot instore! It is going to rock, I love it!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!That's amazing. Eureka's New Era of sister missionaries is going to be amazing because you two are there to start it off. Keep going hard! You both are awesome!

Katrina said...

Yeah for sister missionaries!!!! I love how President Monson has been really emphasizing missionary work; for men, women, and senior couples. Sharing the gospel is awesome!!!
WE NEED MORE MISSIONARIES!!!!!

Sister Tucker said...

That's awesome! I'm excited to hear about all your Eureka adventures :) Also, you are amazing and I love you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...