Ads 468x60px

Friday, April 8, 2011

Please let me Help!



As missionaries, we are asked to look for opportunities to serve and help those around us each day.  It is part of our calling, along with teaching and proclaiming His gospel.  Usually, we will ask those we meet if there is anything we can help them with.  You can probably guess what the reply is about 99% of the time; "no, we're good.  But thanks."  I feel like Russell does a lot of the time.  There must be something I can help with.
In the Book of Mormon, a great king and prophet named King Benjamin gave us this counsel.  "1And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."  Likewise, the Savior taught this parable in Matthew to emphasize the importance of service.
34 Then shall the King say unto them..., Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
As we serve others, we are serving God.  After studying about the Savior and everything He has done for us, I have come to discover for myself that his whole life was one giant act of service.  Jesus Christ never had one day of being selfish.  He never stopped serving.  We can learn from His example.  “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another” (John 13:35).  May each of us go out and serve.  Show God that you are willing to help His children and be a disciple of Christ. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...