Ads 468x60px

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reflection and Growth

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Today marks a big mission landmark for me, one year of being a missionary.  For an Elder, this would be the half way mark (aka the "hump").  As a Sister it marks two thirds of the mission.  Tragic and sad, but it's the life of a Sister Missionary.

At zone conference yesterday we were privileged to hear the testimonies of  a couple of our soon-to-be departing missionaries and listen to the words of wisdom they had to share.  Listening to them made me reflect back to who I was before the mission, just one year ago.  What changes have I seen within myself since then?  What kind of person have I become?  One thing rang true to me, I don't want to be who I used to be.

To backtrack a little, I wasn't some horrible person.  Never a "rebel" or a "wild child."  Just your typical 21 year old LDS girl.  Made good choices and didn't do anything contrary to church standards.  I went to church, went to some activities, and read my scriptures occasionally.  Not overly dedicated or tons of effort put into my religion.  I knew it was true and all that jazz, just didn't give it the priority it deserved.  My evaluation of this person, pathetic!
Pit stop on Highway 1
One year on my mission has made me a whole new being.  I have grown in more ways then I can ever possibly hope to explain or try to convey.  The person I am now is far superior to the pathetic being I was before.  This may sound harsh, but it's true.  There has been a change from within me. 
"1Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God. Behold, they were in the midst of darkness; nevertheless, their souls were illuminated by the light of the everlasting word..."
There is a light within my soul that I didn't know was missing.  Now that I have found it I don't ever want to lose it.  "Onward and upward;" no turning back to who I was.  This change has happened and is all attributed to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Gospel of Christ changes lives.  It makes an okay life amazing and an amazing life even better.  If you haven't yet, I invite you now to come unto Christ and make that change in your life.  He invites all men everywhere to "2follow thou me."  To follow Christ's example and be baptized.

"3Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel."

If this is your desire, please please PLEASE take the steps necessary to follow Christ.  Meet with the missionaries and have that change of heart too.  I know it will bless your life forever.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Time sure does fly. The same type of thoughts were going through my head during Zone Conference as well... Mostly when Elder Hinton was giving his fare-well. Its so crazy. But that is what I love about the missoin. I add my name to what you said: "I don't want to be who I used to be." Why go back? On ward and up ward!

Elder David Mahrt said...

Change is great! Without it where are going nowhere. In order to stand for something we need to be willing to change in order to become what we want to stand for. I'm grateful for the Atonement which allow us to change without being condemned for our mistakes. Keep changing Sister Nestman!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...