Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Awkward Turtle

This is probably the most overdue blog post in the history of overdueness.  But, the wait has been well worth it.  Trust me!

Swimming!

Boom!  That in and of itself could be my blog post.  Just that one word carries so much emotion and meaning to me.  Swimming isn't just a hobby, it is my life!  This sport changed me more than I could ever possibly try to explain, but I'm going to try to do just that here.

Once upon a time Sister Nestman was shy.  Not just shy, but mortified at the idea of talking to anyone I didn't know.  Which posed a major dilemma each time my family would move and I would have to make new friends.  Thank goodness there were some great outgoing people in my childhood, or I would have had no friends!  It took a lot for someone to get to know me and crack my shell.

All of the children in my family were put in soccer as kids.  My dad is rather obsessed with the sport and, due to this, we were all enlisted in bunch ball.  I mean soccer....(you know how it goes for five year old on the field.)  After years of soccer, I decided to try something new.  I liked the water, so a swim team seemed to fit the bill.  At first, I hated it!  I remember crying to my mom telling her I wanted to quit.  Luckily, my mom knew better and wouldn't let me.  After a couple weeks I loved it!  Not only was it a fun sport to do, but I was able to meet some fun people and make some friends.


Swimmers are kinda "awkward turtles" sometimes

When high school rolled around, I was pumped and ready for the swim team.  For a while, I was kinda the silent girl that would just swim my laps and not really converse with the team.  Boy did that end quickly!  Anyone who knows a swimmer knows just how crazy and strange they are.  It's pretty fitting.  Let's face it.  Swimmers are in chlorine all day, wear a cap on their head (never flattering), wear all sorts of strange swim suites, go back and forth all day, and sing songs to themselves while doing all of this.  We're nigh upon insanity most of the time.  This scene, and these people, was the key to me coming out of my shyness.

Since being on my mission, I have DEFINITELY been grateful for my swim friends and what they have done for me.  It is amazing how Heavenly Father put those people in my life and those experiences to help me become a much better person than I was.  I have no idea where I would be had I never joined the swim team.  Honestly, I probably wouldn't be out on my mission right now.  Without a shadow of a doubt I know God puts people in our lives for a reason.  He guides us every step of the way in life.  He knows what will help us most to reach our true potential.  Without Him, I am nothing.  I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father's guiding hand in my life and I know He is there in yours.

Oh, and just so everyone knows.  There is going to be another post about swimming coming soon.  Be excited!

3 comments:

ticopowell said...

Yay for swimming! :)

mommaquincy said...

I had no clue you were ever shy! I loved watching you improve at swimming! And I love hearing about your mission! You rock!

Katrina said...

You. Shy. Is still VERY hard for me to believe. But I'm ever so grateful you came out of it! Thank you swimming! (Even if I don't know how...;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...