Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Got Skills?

The other day, while doin' my thing online, one of the Elders asked me a question.  We had heard the <thwump> of a door closing outside and he asked "who's that outside?"  Of course my response was to put my fingers up to the sides of my head and say "hmmm....nope.  Still don't have x-ray vision.  Haven't developed that talent yet."  Smart-alec responses are something I'm working on.  But, it got me thinking about all the talents we are given.  There is a parable given in the book of Matthew about talents that I would like to share:
15And unto one he agave five btalents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
 16Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
 17And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
 18But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money.
 19After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and areckoneth with them.
 20And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou adeliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
 21His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful aservant: thou hast been bfaithful over a few things, I will make thee cruler over many things: enter thou into the djoy of thy lord.
 22He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
 23His lord said unto him, Well done, good and afaithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
 24Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an ahard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
 25And I was aafraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
 26His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and aslothful servant, thou knewest that I breap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
 Each of us has been blessed with a gift that the Lord wants us to develop.  Can you imagine a world where, for example, Michael Jordan didn't play basketball?  What if he had decided to just sit on the couch and never go out and try?  That amazing gift would have gone to waste.  Those epic games of the Jazz versus the Bulls would have never come to pass.
We weren't given talents to let them go to the wayside.  Developing our talents is our way of saying thank you to our Father in Heaven.  It is also our duty to develop our talents.  The Lord doesn't want us to come to earth and return with exactly what He gave us.  He wants us to improve what we have and gain more.  By doing so we will not only gain joy in this life, but eternal joy.

Now I want you to think for a second about yourself.  What talents are stagnant?  What is something you want to learn how to do?  I would like to encourage each of you to go out and learn something new or perfect something that's at a "meh" level.  I know the Lord will help you and wants to help you.  Go and do my friends.

1 comment:

Trey Williams said...

I. love. that. picture. Excellent post too! Most my talents are in the realm outside of the white handbook, so... I'm going to work on my street contacts! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...